The original furniture and funeral business was started by John McGuire (who had been in business from the 1860's manufacturing furniture) and Mr. Galaway. John McGuire was the maternal grand father of John Low Sr. He owned the Uxbridge Piano and Organ Company and also sold caskets and furniture from that location. They moved to the furniture store on Brock Street about 1891 where they are still located.When Mr. McGuire died William Low and Mrs. McGuire formed the company of McGuire & Low. The funeral business was also operated from the same location with funerals being held either in their home or the church. Embalming was practiced from the early 1900's with most of it being done right in the home. Horses and wagons were the only means of transportation.John Low came into the business in 1917 and was actively engaged in it until the 1950's. In 1948 the present funeral home on Brock Street East was opened. Bill Low came into the business in 1949 and is still involved. In 1964 the name McGuire & Low was changed to Low & Low upon incorporation.In 1987 John Low, the fifth generation, received his Funeral Director's license and joined the business. In 1996 Peter Low received his license and joined the business. In 1989 they purchased another funeral home in Port Perry on Regional Rd #8 and are operating both under the Low & Low name.P.O. Box 698, 1763 Reach Rd.
The Wagg Funeral Home, "McDermott-Panabaker Chapel" has a history in the community dating back to 1846. Like our predecessors in the funeral home, we are committed to the families we serve during their time of need. We are equally committed to supporting community groups and charities, and believe that a connected community thrives. By supporting the community we are supporting ourselves and our collective futures.Our humble beginnings go back to 1846, when John W. Davis purchased theproperty at the south west corner of Queen and Perry Streets, and built a furniture store. Davis also served as the town's undertaker when he opened his store.William Henry Letcher purchased the store from the Davis family in 1901,and eventually passed the business on to his son, Merle. After the death of his father, Merle Letcher sold the business in 1934 to Archie McDermott.Twelve years later in 1946, Art Panabaker came to Port Perry to work for Archie and in 1951 they added a chapel and a casket room to the building. Art and Archie became business partners in 1955. Then in 1960, Archie's son, Grant McDermott, bought his father's share of the business.In 1981, Harold Wagg, who grew up just outside Uxbridge, purchased the business from Grant and Art. When Harold decided to retire in 1990, he sold the funeral home to Myles O'Riordan on August 1,1990. Myles is the current owner of the Wagg Funeral Home. He was raised in Aurora and had worked in Richmond Hill and Toronto. Since purchasing the funeral home he has made his home in Port Perry.